HOLIDAY TRAVEL MADE EASY FOR PETS
Petmate® offers tips for traveling with four-legged friends
(ARLINGTON, Texas) Nov. 20, 2013 – AAA estimates that more than half of U.S. pet owners plan to take their dogs or cats with them when they travel this holiday season. Make keeping your pet comfortable during these travels a necessity with accessories like dog blankets and toys. Petmate, a leading maker of innovative products pet families prefer for home, travel and play, offers tips and products for keeping Fido and Fluffy safe, secure and stress-free.
Whether pets are traveling by car or by air, bringing along the proper equipment for safety, food and water, comfort and walks is key for a pleasant journey: Check out our tips and tricks as well as our recommendations for dog travel accessories to ensure your trip is a safe and successful one!
- Safety: Unsecured pets wandering freely in a vehicle not only are a distraction for drivers, but they're also more likely to be injured in the event of an accident. A restraint like the Petmate Ultimate Travel Harness offers comfort, safety and versatility with a step-in harness, chest padding and an adjustable loop that can be used as a seat belt tether, tie-out or temporary leash. The sturdy, yet flexible Petmate Pop & Go Vehicle Barrier keeps pets in the back of the vehicle, away from the driver and out of harm’s way. Regardless of the type of pet restraint you choose, it's important to ensure your pet is safely secured in place.
- Crating: Kennels offer a safe, cozy space while traveling. Make sure the crate has room for your pet to turn around and stand without hitting his or her head. A comfy kennel like the Petmate Navigator® easily assembles and breaks down in seconds with the Slide ‘N’ Snap™ design and offers increased ventilation and visibility so pets stay extra comfortable on their journey. Not sure which kennel is best for your dog? Check out our guide to choosing the right kennel.
- Comfort: Most cats are leery of car rides, but a carrier makes the ride hiss- and scratch-free. The Petmate See & Extend has a unique, zip-out mesh vestibule that expands for a roomier ride. For the jet-setting pet, the Wetnoz® Carrier is part pet carrier and part cuddle bed, making it perfect to use anywhere, anytime. Ideal for pets under 20 pounds, the carrier features a plush and padded interior that is leak-free in case of accidents, an interior tether to keep pets safe, side pocket storage, and both shoulder and carry handles for easy transport.
- Food and water: Keep a gallon of cold water on hand to ensure your pet stays sufficiently hydrated during a trip. Collapsible, silicone Petmate Travel Bowls fit into small spaces and pockets, making on-the-go feeding and watering quick and easy. Additionally, air-tight dog food storage options can keep your pet's food fresh during long journeys.
- Walks: Pets need to stop every two to three hours for a potty break and a little exercise. Be sure to pick up after Fido with the Arm & Hammer™ Bone Dispenser and Biodegradable Waste Bags, which harness the odor-neutralizing and freshening power of baking soda. The dispenser attaches to any leash for easy access, and the biodegradable waste bags are made from corn starch. At night, reflective gear is a must, and the Petmate Palm Retractable Leash features a 10-foot reflective cord and reflective wrist strap for extra visibility.
Once pets arrive at their destination, they are more comfortable (and less likely to chew, bark or have accidents) if they have a familiar bed or blanket and a designated space of their own. The soft and durable Petmate Zip & Go Pet Bed has handle straps for easy carrying and pockets for additional storage. Petmate Portable Pop-Up Tents are easy to pop into place and allow pets to keep an eye on the activities while feeling safe and secure in a den-like environment. To create a cozy, warm nest, the Aspen Pet® Self-Warming Bed uses the same technology that heats Mylar “space blankets” and reflects a pet’s own body heat.
“Bringing pets along for your holiday celebrations should be fun for pets and their families,” said Petmate Director of Marketing and Innovation Ann Hanson. “With a little planning and the right pet travel products, traveling with pets is comfortable and stress-free so everyone enjoys the trip more.”
Founded in 1963, Petmate is the nation’s leading maker of innovative products pet families prefer for home, travel and play. Arlington, Texas-based Petmate is the trusted authority in innovative, functional, high-quality pet products including bedding, kennels, dog houses, feeding and watering products, litter maintenance products, toys, collars, leads and travel solutions, available at pet supply retailers nationwide. Petmate also makes pet family favorite brands Chuckit!, Wetnoz, Aspen Pet, JW and more. For more information, visit www.petmate.com.